What is DWP?
DWP is a multi-trait selection index which encompasses the various elements of profitability including: production, fertility, type, longevity and cow and calf wellness traits. Selection for DWP can result in a difference of lifetime profit of more than 1,200 between the top 10th percentile and the bottom 10th percentile of ranked animals in females. Developed by Zoetis, this index was reviewed by Select Sires geneticists and reflects the input and knowledge of a team of industry experts. DWP utilizes data collected from millions of health records within U.S. commercial Holstein herds.
Wellness traits are expressed as Standard Transmitting Ability (STA), where 100 represents average expected disease risk. Higher values are desirable.
What’s NEW for Dairy Wellness Profit Index DWP:
- Value of fat and protein have increased.
- Decreased weight on PL due to direct focus on diseases that reduce longevity.
- Increased negative weight on Body Size to reflect higher feed cost associated with larger size.
- Removed weight on UDC and FLC due to lack of direct link to profitability or longevity. (The average US Holstein has achieved such a high level of functional type that continued emphasis on these traits will not result in increased profitability.)
- Addition of 4 new Zoetis Wellness and Fertility Traits.
What’s NEW for Wellness Traits WT:
- Direct focus on Wellness Traits has resulted in genetic improvement in resistance to most common diseases impacting Holsteins.
- This means STA values will decrease for those traits with the base change (to adjust back to 100 as breed average).
These are NEW Wellness Traits from Zoetis:
- Cow Abortion
- Cystic Ovaries
- Cow Respiratory Disease
- Milk Fever